Doctors’, nurses’ and clinical associates’ understanding of emergency care practitioners

Health SA Gesondheid


 
 
Field Value
 
Title Doctors’, nurses’ and clinical associates’ understanding of emergency care practitioners
 
Creator Vincent-Lambert, Craig Kotzé, Dirk
 
Subject Emergency Care; Interdisciplinary Care emergency department; inter-professional education; inter-professional collaboration; patient handover; teamwork
Description Background: Healthcare professionals’ understanding of the knowledge, skills and training of their counterparts from other disciplines cultivates appreciation and respect within the workplace. This, in turn, results in better teamwork and improved patient care. Emergency departments are places where emergency care practitioners (ECPs) engage with doctors, nurses and clinical associates. Whilst the importance of inter-professional communication and teamwork between in-hospital professionals and pre-hospital emergency care providers is acknowledged, no literature could be found describing exactly how much these in-hospital professionals understand about the training and capabilities of their ECP colleagues.Aim: The aim of this study was to assess the level of understanding that prospective doctors, nurses and clinical associates have regarding the training and capabilities of ECPs.Setting: The research was conducted in Johannesburg, South Africa, at two universities.Methods: Seventy-seven participants completed a purpose-designed questionnaire assessing their understanding regarding the education and clinical capabilities of ECPs.Results: In total, 64% of participants demonstrated a poor understanding of the level of education and clinical capabilities of ECPs. The remaining 36% showed only moderate levels of understanding.Conclusion: Medical, nursing and clinical associate graduates have a generally poor understanding of the education and clinical capabilities of their ECP colleagues who practise predominantly in the pre-hospital environment. This lack of understanding can become a barrier to effective communication between ECPs and in-hospital staff during patient handover in emergency departments.Contribution: This research highlights a lack of understanding about the role and function of South African ECPs as pre-hospital emergency care providers and the need for more effective inter-professional education.
 
Publisher AOSIS Publishing
 
Contributor
Date 2021-03-11
 
Type info:eu-repo/semantics/article info:eu-repo/semantics/publishedVersion — Quantitative, Prospective, Survey based
Format text/html application/epub+zip text/xml application/pdf
Identifier 10.4102/hsag.v26i0.1523
 
Source Health SA Gesondheid; Vol 26 (2021); 7 pages 2071-9736 1025-9848
 
Language eng
 
Relation https://hsag.co.za/index.php/hsag/article/view/1523/html https://hsag.co.za/index.php/hsag/article/view/1523/epub https://hsag.co.za/index.php/hsag/article/view/1523/xml https://hsag.co.za/index.php/hsag/article/view/1523/pdf
 
Coverage South Africa 2018-2019 Medical; Nursing; Clinical Associates (mixed genders, ages not recorded)
Rights Copyright (c) 2021 Craig Vincent-Lambert, Dirk Kotzé https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0